Jorge Miguel dos Reis Silva
Jorge Miguel Silva (PhD) has a Graduation in Marine Systems Engineering of Electronics and Telecommunications from Escola Superior Náutica Infante D. Henrique (ENIDH, Oeiras) since 1993, an MSc in Operations Research and Systems Engineering from Instituto Superior Técnico (IST, Lisbon) since 1996, and a PhD in Transportation from IST since 2005. He has professional activity since 1979, firstly as a Merchant Navy Officer at Sociedade Portuguesa de Navios Tanque -SOPONATA (1979/1997), secondly as an Aeronautical Telecommunications Technician at ANA -Aeroportos e Navegação Aérea (1988/1995), and finally as a Professor at the University of Beira Interior (UBI), (since 1995). He was President of the Scientific Council of the Aerospace Sciences Department (DCA) of UBI between 2006/2009. He is currently an Assistant Professor in the DCA of UBI, and since 2015, a Full Researcher at the Institute for Research and Innovation in Civil Engineering for Sustainability (CERis). He was a Full Researcher of the Aeronautics and Astronautics Research Center (AeroG, member of CEAS and EASN) of the Associated Laboratory in Energy, Transports and Aeronautics (LAETA) from 2007 to 2015.The areas of scientific activity of Jorge Silva are Transportation in general and Air Transport in particular, as well as Operations Research. Since 2005 he supervised 30 MSc thesis and 10 Graduation final works (5 year curriculum) in the scientific domain of Aeronautical Engineering. Since 2007 he participated/participates as a Researcher and/or Coordinator in UBI in 8 national and international projects within the framework of Agência deInovoação -ADI, Ministerio de Fomento de España, Massachusetts Institute of Technology -MIT (supervising 7 research fellows), LAETA, and Quadro de Referência Estratégico Nacional -QREN (supervising 3 research fellows). Among several works he carried out with his students in the support of regional development, stand out 2 that deserved special awards/distinctions: one by the Associação de Municípios da Cova da Beira (1998) and the other by the Câmara Municipal do Fundão (2004). Since 2005 he published 1PhD thesis, 8 books chapters, 8 articles in international journals with scientific referee, 4 articles in national journals with scientific referee, and more than 80 communications in the proceedings of national and international scientific meetings. He belonged to several national and international conferences organizing/scientific committees. Between 2012 and 2015 he submitted 2 provisional patent applications in the scientific domain of Aeronautical Engineering. Currently he supervises/co-supervises 5 PhD works, 3 of them at UBI, 1 at the University of Coimbra, and 1 at IST. Also he develops/developed consulting for: ADIST -Associação para o Desenvolvimento do Instituto Superior Técnico; AECBP –Associação Empresarial da Covilhã Belmonte e Penamacor; ANA Consulting; Câmara Municipal de Belmonte; Câmara Municipal de Vila Real; CESUR; CISED Consultores; GIBB Portugal; Ministério da Ciência e da Tecnologia –Gabinete de Gestão do PRODEP; Parques Tejo -Parqueamentos de Oeiras; and Partis -Serviços, Lda. Jorge Silva is a member (President) of the Associação de Investigação Científica em Engenharia Aeroespacial (AEROG), the Associação Portuguesa de Investigação Operacional (APDIO, member of IFORS), the Associação Portuguesa para o Desenvolvimento Regional (APDR, member of RSAI), and the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA).
- Patrão, L. and Zorro, S. and Silva, J. and Castelo-Branco, M. and Ribeiro, J. “Flight physiology training experiences and perspectives: Survey of 117 pilots”, DOI: 10.3357/ASEM.3545.2013, Vol. 84, No. 6, Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine, 2013, pp. 620-624, http://dx.doi.org/10.3357/ASEM.3545.2013
- Medeiros, D.M.C., Silva, J.M.R and Bousson, K. (2012) RNAV and RNP AR approach systems: the case for Pico Island airport, in International Journal of Aviation Management, Special Issue on Advances in Air Traffic Management and regional Connectivity, ISSN 1755-990, 181-200.
- Rodrigues, C.V.C, Silva, J.M.R and Bousson, K. (2012) Advanced air traffic management technologies: the ADS-B impact over ATM concepts. The case for Portugal, in International Journal of Aviation Management, Special Issue on Advances in Air Traffic Management and regional Connectivity, ISSN 1755-990, 162-180.
- Maria João Fontes, Anabela Ribeiro, Jorge Silva (2014) Accessibility and Local Development: Interaction between Cross-border Accessibility and Local Development in Portugal and Spain, Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences (Elsevier), Vol. 111, 2014, pp. 927 – 936.
- Ribeiro, A. and Silva, J. (2011) A Spatial Regression Analysis on Cross-Border Relation between Accessibility and Spatial Development, in Investigaciones Regionales, n.º 21, Special Issue on Contributions to Spatial Econometrics, ISSN: 1695-7253, 141-156.
All Publication since 2011
- “DesAIR: Design of Environmentaly-friendly Structures for AIRcrafts”. Project Ref. 24557, under the support of FEDER (Programa Operacional Factores de Competitividade), July 2012 – December 2014, (Budget: 694.787,03 €).
- “EFATraS – Environmentally-Friendly Aeronautical Transport Systems”, QREN (nº 4830, code CENTRO-07-ST24_FEDER-002020). Participants: Universidade da Beira Interior (UBI), LAETA – Laboratório Associado de Energia, Transportes e Aeronáutica/Grupo de Aeronáutica e Astronáutica (AeroG), IT – Instituto de Telecomunicações, C-MADE – Center of Materials and Building Technologies. Budget: 201.187,22€.
- Project (MIT-pt/TS-AAS/0046/2008) of R&D, FCT and Program MIT-Portugal, title AIRDEV – Business Models for Airport Development Management. Participants: IST (Lisboa), Alstom (Saint-Ouen), FEUP – Faculdade de Engenharia da UP (Porto), INAC (Lisboa), FCTUC (Coimbra), and University of Antwerp. Budget: 183.144,00€.
- Projecto (FM/2251/2006) of R&D from Ministerio de Fomento deEspaña, title: Dimensión y Tipología de los Movimientos Transfronterizos en la Frontera entre España (Extremadura-Huelva) y Portugal (Alentejo-Algarve). Participants: Universidad de Extremadura (Mérida, Espanha), IST (Lisboa), Fundicotex (Espanha), Planicôa (Guarda), and Parques Tejo (Oeiras, Lisboa). Bugdet: 40.000,00€.
- “SIMUAV – Design and Implementation of a Simulator for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles”, Agência de Inovação (ADI) – Program Ideia (Project SIMUAV – Nº 70/00330). Participants: Universidade da Beira Interior (UBI), Critical Software (Lisboa & Coimbra), Universidade de Coimbra. Budget: 9.664,90€.